Steve Goodman Memorial Service Peter Groverman Speech

                                                                         Gods Plan
Hi my name is Peter Groverman.

It’s been great Listening to everyone today.

In 2007 I was pitching my company to a room full of investors at Morgan Lewis. When I was done pitching several investors came up to me and shook my hand and expressed interest in furthering a conversation. A seasoned gentleman stood there and listened… until everyone had left… at which point he approached me. "Is your mother Linda and your father David?” - "I said yes.” He gave me his card, - and said - please tell them we should all grab lunch.

That evening at dinner I told my parents I met “Steve Goodman?” - Their jaws hit the floor - "how...do you know Steve? He worked with your grand father - he is a legend." At this time, I was considering dropping out of Law School to run my business - and my parents were 100% not in agreement.

After some coordination WITH CINDY (his amazing assistant) we arranged lunch at my fathers cafe - Steve showed up with his “gate keeper” Michael Crossey. After brief chit chat - Steve went on to explain how after clerking the supreme court - he came to Philadelphia and my Grandfather was his very first client - my family had not only provided business but mentored him greatly. Steve felt obliged and excited to work with me now - advisement, support, legal, anything I needed.


Daniel Fine - Michael Crossey Esq. - Peter Groverman Esq.
The Union League Of Philadelphia
April 8, 2018

My parents were still skeptical - “Steve, Peter is considering dropping out of Law School - we think he should finish his degree and practice for a few years… what do you have to say to that?” Ultimately, it seemed my Jewish parents had already made their decision on the matter… Steve listened. “Linda, there is a thing called being an Entrepreneurial Athlete - Peter has a great idea, he has great validation, and he has people who believe in him… you should reinforce that. Your son is an exceptional Entrepreneurial Athlete.” My parents were flabbergasted.

I dropped out of Law School and persude my company… I had Steve Goodman in my corner. Over the past 11 years - Steve became one of my best friends - he became my business partner - he became my mentor - and when my Grandfather passed away, I considered him in that regard as well. Everyone knew Steve and everyone loved Steve. I would give him an update and Steve listened. He would talk and I would take notes because his words flowed so naturally.

He could take a 2 minute vision of mine and sum it down into 6 words. "To be clear - you want to:  utilize technology, streamline operations, and grow cash-flows.” - “Yes, ummm that’s exactly what we want to do Steve…”

He taught me the power of platforms and how to network. "Send handwritten thank you notes - after meetings…stick out.” In my current business we worked on creating a work flow that is “infinitely replicable.”

He introduced me to one of my best friends Daniel Fine - and best of all - he would have lunch with us and share his career experiences. At our last lunch meet-up he shared one of my favorite life lessons:

When Steve was a young boy he had no plans on a weekend afternoon so he went to his grandmothers house. When he got there, his grand mother started telling him stories. Steve sat there and listened - his grandmother kept telling him story after story. After a few hours - Steve decided it was time for him to go home and so he kissed his grandmother goodbye and left. He was conscious that he hadn’t said much though he assumed it was only that his Grandmom had a lot she wanted to say. When Steve got home, his mother ran up to him and gave him an incredible hug - you are so wonderful she told him - I am so proud of you. Steve was shocked - what had he done to deserve such praise from his mother?

Apparently, Steve’s Grandmother had called his mother after he left and told her how "Steve is one of the smartest people" she has ever met - and how such a young man could be so wise was baffling.

Steve was a little confused - he hadn’t said anything - like nothing - all he did - was listen. It was at this point Steve realized that if you listen, people will think you are smart. He ended the story by saying "We do a lot of talking but we don’t do a lot of listening. He furthered his analysis by stating "part of the problem is there is so much noise… it’s difficult to know who or what exactly to listen to.”

Another of my favorite Steve-isms was: "Peter, Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Within Reason - you can achieve anything - and you will fail - and that’s when you get up - and you show up - and that’s tenacity.”

In nature - forests have giant trees surrounded by smaller trees - these giant trees are called Mother Trees - they provide nutrients to the surrounding trees through their integrated root networks. Steve was the Mother Tree of my network - he’s the only guy I’ve ever met who received so many flowers the hospital had to put a stop to them for breathing reasons.

Steve taught me the difference between being smart and being wise. Being wise includes being smart, tenacious, and open to others’ words. It also includes knowing how to differentiate who and what - to listen to.

Steve is a legend. The total God Father - The Michael Jordan of Entrepreneurial Athletes. Steve was an excellent listener and he was also someone that everyone knew they could listen to.

We are all so lucky to have had him shape and influence our mindsets and city.

My eternal optimism will shine strong knowing his legacy will only continue throughout everyone here today.

Thank you.

     

Comments